Re: The first of a several questions

To: "Matthew Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: The first of a several questions
From: <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:13:26 -0500
One of two things I am thinking of...

1.  Differential is out of oil/dirty oil...   I've had one on a car I was
towing that was empty and it made a loud noise like what you are describing and
started locking up.   Filled with oil and it quieted down nicely...  just don't
think I'll be using that particular diff in a running car though.. You might
want to check that fluid and change it anyway...
2.  Wheel bearing is going out.  That makes the same loud rumbly noise.  You
can test them by jacking the car up and trying to move the wheel... if you can
see the axle move  in relation to the diff housing, you have a bad bearing.
You may see some oil leakage from a bad wheel bearing because it elongates the
seal  I think it's about $140 for the bearings and seals, plus the work to
press off the old collar and put all new stuff on.

Good luck!!
Eric