The first of a several questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The first of a several questions
From: "Matthew Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 18:59:57 -0500
Hi All,

I have now had my drivers license back for a week, and am finding MANY new
things I need to ask. The first of which is a VERY scary noise coming from
the rear of my car.

Loreli has developed a (potentially) horrible noise from the rear end. This
usually happens in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. At first, I thought it was just
back-rap from the header/exhaust. It seems that when moving in gear, under a
reduced power, as in slowing down or going downhill with my foot off of or
lighter on the gas, I hear a rumbley noise from the back of the car. I
noticed this first when driving from Chattanooga to Nashville this weekend.
I did have the car well over the speed limit a couple of times on this 2 =
hour run. (110 at one point). My first thought was the normal back-rap from
a semi free running exhaust on a standard transmission. This doesnt seem to
be it. When I backed out of my parking spot at Starbucks, I heard a TERRIBLE
grinding noise from the rear end. Bad enough that I had to stop and jump out
to see what was wrong. (at the same time I got into a great conversation
with a Gentleman from Nashville who once had a 66 1600 that he bought from a
friend who was a Datsun dealer in Nashville. They flew the dealers private
plane to New Orleans to pick the car up directly from the ship from Japan).

Tomorrow I plan to take Loreli to the lube shop to check the oil in the rear
end, but I wondered if anyone else has heard this very expensive sounding
noise. I grabbed the drive shaft (not an easy feat for a guy over 275
pounds) and wiggled it. Doesnt seem to be u-joints, but there is a fair
amount of play in the driveshaft. (probably more than an 1/8th of an inch in
each direction. Any ideas?

Matthew A. Smith