Re: Fuel Lines & Fuel Pressure

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Lines & Fuel Pressure
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:18:14 +0000
But,  but but but but (just like my 3- year old nephew says it)

Fuel flow at anything but extended WOT at high rpms is almost static.  The pump
has enough excess capacity to keep constant pressure in the entire line,
overwhelming any real drag losses in the tubing.

You're sending a fixed amount of fuel through a fixed aperture
(the needle valves)
So while the larger volume of fuel in the line will take longer to fill
if the line runs dry, once it's full, flow THROUGH THE NEEDLE SEATS
will be the same.  And as fuel's incompressable, it really won't affect dynamic
flow in the entire system very much either.  In fact, in theory it should
increase it a hair, as there's less resistance to flow in a larger line.

So yes, if you pop the 5/8"  (is it REALLY that big?) hose loose, it won't look
like a gusher- but if you pop the float lid off, fuel will squirt out of the
needle valve like it's supposed to.

I'd look at that filter...  or that pump...

fwiw,
Toby