Re: Carb cleaning tip, what not to do

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb cleaning tip, what not to do
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:11:41 EDT
Well since I'm a testing kind of guy I decided to experiment a little. I
pulled 6 dome/piston pairs from carbs I've recently done. The dome to piston
clearances were all between 1.5 and 3 thousanths of an inch. Pretty tight
tolerances. Then I took the springs out and plugged the holes in the pistons.
Turning
them upside down and dropping the pistons in they took between 2 and 6 seconds
to leak down. Not as consistant as I was expecting. Then I tried something, I
wet the piston edge with silicone spray. One thing you will notice when you
pull your domes is that the piston edge is wet with oil or gas. With the piston
edges wet the pistons did not leak down at all. One thing I noticed was the
grooves on the outside of the piston. This is a technique used on some small
engines. The grooves hold oil that acts as a piston ring sealing the space
between the piston and wall with very little friction. I dragged out the piston
and
dome tht hat been sandpapered. It took about a second to leak down dry and
about two seconds wet. The piston to dome clearance was about 6 thousanths.

       I can't say for sure that pistons and domes were matched at the
factory but the tolerances are awfully tight. I can say for sure that this
piston
and dome were ruined by being sanded.

keith williams