Re: Carb cleaning tip, what not to do

To: gregs672liter@netzero.net
Subject: Re: Carb cleaning tip, what not to do
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:09:09 EDT
Well, I don't claim to be an expert either and I can't lay my hands on the
referance to the honing at the moment but the SU carbs are much higher
precision
that they might apear at first glance. I have mixed up a few dome/piston
sets. Usually it does not seem to make much differance. But, on some the piston
drop rate will be noticably different. Swap them back and they even up. I'm not
sure how it was done but you need to remember that labor in Japan was awfully
cheap in the '60s. With the large diameter of the piston and the low pressure
differentals the dome to piston clearance needs to be very close and
expecially consistant. The factory service manual is very specific about using
rags and
gasoline to clean them and to be very carefull to not scratch the surfaces.

keith