Re: Allen's non-starting car

To: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Subject: Re: Allen's non-starting car
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:52:36 -0800
Tom Hendricksen wrote:

> The chain reference links DO move around the circumference of the chain when
>you
> rotate the engine.

Thanks Tom for the reply.  I knew that the reference link would move.  What I
was
referring to was the fact that the cam timing mark, when set up, should be in
the
middle of an outside link "plate" (for lack of a better word... that oval thing
that
ties the pins together), instead of between one of these oval plates.  I was
wondering if that relationship changed (i.e that at times it would be between a
link
plate), but have just realized (and confirmed with an old cam gear and chain)
that it
remains the same.  Not all timing chains come with the reference link, in my
experience, and someone unfamiliar with the Roadster (like the shop that did the
work) might not get it right.  Thanks!!!!!!
Greg