Allen's non-starting car

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Allen's non-starting car
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:41:34 -0800
I seem to be having trouble getting info and questions to the list in
my/our effort to figure out this car.  I had a question to follow up on
allen's about checking mechanical timing.  I wonder if the cam is one
tooth off.  The only way I know to check it would involve pulling the
front cover and counting links.  However, I was wondering if anyone out
there has a 2 liter on a stand or out of the car who can do the
following:  Put the chains on properly, put the front cover on and put
the engine at TDC and tell us the exact location of the cam dowel pin.
I want to know if the timing pointer on the front cover is a reliable
mark that we can use to see if the cam is one tooth off.  Also,
according to the manual, when you set up the chains the timing mark on
the cam gear is supposed to be in the middle of a link, and not
between... does that change when the engine is rotated several times (I
would not think so, being that the timing of the engine should remain
the same, but ?).  Also, if the cam is one tooth off, would the engine
run?  Any idea how many degrees of retard or advance one tooth would
be?  I know that there are adjustable cam sprockets, but I do not know
how many degrees they adjust the cam.  If he is one tooth off, I am
hopeful that he did not bend any valves.  His head is uncut, so there
may be enough room, but there sure would not have been on mine!  Thanks
list!  I would do this all myself, but my engine is in pieces and
scattered around in several places.
Greg