Re: Allen's non-starting car

To: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Allen's non-starting car
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:03:40 -0800
Greg,

I took pictures of the U20 from my parts car when I before I changed the upper
chain so I would have a record.  I sent these pictures, and a couple of pictures
from the Clymer manual to Allen in the hope it would help him.  The well lit
Clymer picture, and my much poorer lit picture, pretty much match when you look
at the cam gear position.  I had to assemble and check things two or three times
before I was sure I had everybody in the position I wanted them in.  I was off a
tooth or two the first time.

The chain reference links DO move around the circumference of the chain when you
rotate the engine.  The biggest problem I had was counting the links between the
cam gear and jack shaft gear.  Everything I can find calls for 38 links between
these two gears on the right side (left car) as you look at the chain.  No
matter
how many times I counted it I think I came up with either 18 or 19 links.  I am
still confused about that one unless they count the double row as two links.

If he is off a tooth I am pretty sure he would have touched a valve to a piston.
Whether it is enough to bend the valve I don't know.  I bought a 68 2000 new and
retimed it to some 12 degrees BTDC for the extra power.  From this list I have
recently learned how hard this is on the chains when you have a smog dizzy.  In
about 15,000 miles I jumped a tooth on the chain.  If I remember correctly I
replaced at least two valves on a head that was uncut.

As to list troubles.  Make sure you delete the Major Domo trailer at the end of
each message you reply to.  I am still learning that one as well.

Tom
69 2000
Portland