Re: <OT> Encyclopedia of cars

To: " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: <OT> Encyclopedia of cars
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:45:39 -0600
datsunmike wrote

>> Fellow Roadsterites,
>>
>> Is there such a thing as an Encyclopedia of Cars?  If so, which
>> one do you suggest?  What I'm looking for is something that shows
>> pictures of cars thru the ages, American, Japanese, British, etc.

I got this as a gift some years ago. there may be a newer edition:

New Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-90
Author:
Richard M. Langsworth and auto editors of Consumer Guide

Publications International, Ltd.

ISBN: 1-56173-303-2

Not "Thru the ages" exactly, but a hefty chunk of automotive history.
More of a quick reference than an enthusiast's guide, but interesting
with lots of photos.

Roadster Content:  A few lines from the DatsunRoadster entry:

[Successful British-style '60s sports cars from Nissan, then mostly doing
business as Datsun.  Replaced the firm's first such car of 1959-60.
Styling rather like that of contemporary MGB, which it predated by a full
year, and workmanship about on the same par.  Engineering orthodox,
featureing cruciform-braced box-section frame, coil and wishbone front
suspension, live rear axle on leaf springs, drum brakes. Drivetrain was
ordinary but new: a 71-bhp 1500cc four mated to four speed gearbox.
There was also a sideways third seat (dropped by 63)]

And it goes on from there.

-Marc T

-Marc T.