Re: educated guess needed

To: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: educated guess needed
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:09:47 -0700
The distributor on the L-16 engine in my '70 PL521 (pickup) has that
same setup - there's a wire connecting the points to the condenser on
the outside of the distributor housing - if I am recalling this
correctly - the truck was totaled and crushed 8 years ago :^(

In my case it was running fine, then the next time I went to start it
up, it did nothing - didn't turn over, no solenoid click, nothing. Two
days of checking things between and after classes (I was in college at
the time) and getting suggestions from friends - and it turned out to be
that wire. Insulation looked fine, but it was broken internally from
sitting up where the rotor would whip it every time around. 2 days to
diagnose, 5 minutes to replace a 67 cent part (in 1980) and on the road
again.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA

///