educated guess needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: educated guess needed
From: Pagone@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:45:32 EDT
Here's the scene: cold, foggy morning. Turn key in ignition to start car and
warm it up. It starts hesitantly. Idles really low  regardless of how far
choke is pulled out. Pulling out of driveway it sputters and backfires a few
times. (don't know if there's smoke or not).
Then I get on road and when in first gear, rpm's stay low and the car has no
oomph. Shift into 2nd, still low rpm's, still low oomph. Sometimes when in
first, usually in 2nd gear,  car "kicks in" and takes off, running normal
until I stop at a light. I have found that if I drive with the choke pulled
out a bit, it runs a little better.
Last week, early in the week, I had problems keeping the car going. It would
start, but the rpms would drop and it would sputter. Later in the week it got
to the point where it would, no matter what, sputter and die. Had to have it
towed a few blocks back home because it would not start.  Called buddy. He
came over and adjusted the space between the points. Said I'd need to replace
the point set soon. After he did that, it drove GREAT over the weekend, and
about Tuesday evening when I got into it to go home, it started with the
backfiring and slow-going.
When buddy was fixing points, he was trying to tune it a little and said he
thinks there's a vaccuum problem with the carbs, should get it looked at.
That's all . Anyone have any ideas? Can anyone call me and walk me through
replacing the points over the phone, if it's not too technical of a job.  As
I have to report back to the wonderful world of jury duty tomorrow morning, I
really fear the car dying in rush-hour traffic in downtown L.A.
Gratefully,
Vilia

///
///