Re: Blackhawk Nissan/Datsun Show

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blackhawk Nissan/Datsun Show
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 10:06:45 -0700
Yeah, as I said, I know and like several of the ZONC members. Mostly I was just
trying to get folks to look at this new phenomenon (which I think will become
more and more common as Datsun clubs need to expand their member base to keep
their clubs alive). I also wanted to point out that there is a difference
between simply "allowing" others to join what remains a model-specific club, and
altering the club's mission to encompass all Datsuns. The latter is a great idea
as far as I am concerned, while the former can be a real mess and lead to more
divisiveness ultimately. While the "What's in a Name?" issue may seem small, I
think it can (not must, just can) underlie a more important problem.

If folks live in an area where there is no club for their model, and they are
welcomed by another club to join, that's something different than a club
targeting owners of specific models outside their original mandate. Ditto, if
someone just likes the folks/attitudes in a particular club and wants to be part
of that club even though it isn't designed for their model/make of car.

Marc Sayer

roadster wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I understand your misgivings about why a club representing a particular
> model would open it's doors to other models. I wondered the same thing
> myself when I joined ZONC a couple years ago and brought my roadster to
> meetings dominated by Z's. There doesn't seem to be a roadster club around
> with the clout and organization that ZONC has here in California. So that's
> one reason I joined.
>
> I've heard a little grumbling about permitting 510's to join in, and I can
> see that 510 owners have alternative clubs to turn to for support. But I've
> also heard that 510 clubs may be having problems with dwindling members, so
> possibly there are 510 owners that are looking for alternatives and ZONC
> might be what they seek.
>
> My hope is that ZONC someday becomes an all-Datsun club. Whether they will
> change their name in the future isn't important to me. What is important is
> that they are welcoming other models like our roadsters and 510's to join in
> on fun events. If it doesn't work out, it's our choice whether we stay in or
> stay away.
>
> Fred Katz - So.SF
> P.S. Me and Annie had a great time at the membership meeting at the
> Blackhawk museum. Not often that our cars are on display among classics; it
> was surreal.

///
///