Re: Blackhawk Nissan/Datsun Show

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blackhawk Nissan/Datsun Show
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 23:13:02 -0700
We went through a similar phase with the MG model specific clubs about 20 years
ago. The MGA club and the MGTD clubs both realized that memberships were down
and they could not support themselves without also including the "other" MGs. So
they "allowed" MGBs and MGCs, etc., to be members of "their" club. They didn't
get it when many of us "other" MG owners (who were members of a thriving all-MG
club) didn't fall all over ourselves to join their TD or A club. I thought that
was BS then and this sounds like just the same sort of S to me. Why would a club
that has a specific model of car in its name want to invite owners of other cars
to be members? And why would a Roadster or 510 owner want to belong to a "Z"
club? And yes, it is a Z club, the initials ZONC stand for Z Owners Of Northern
California. If they *really* want to be an all-Datsun club, let them change
their name. If they'd start calling themselves the Datsun Owners Club of
Northern California, or some such thing, then I'd buy that it was really a club
for all Datsuns. Now it just feels like a load of BS.

And no, I have nothing against ZONC. I know and like many ZONC members, and as a
Z owner, I would probably join them if I lived in Northern California. But as a
510 owner I certainly wouldn't. I'd join NorCal, the 510 club as a 510 owner.
Either way, if there was an all-Datsun club, I'd prefer to join it. Cooperation
amongst marque clubs is one thing. I wholeheartedly support inter club
cooperation. But why would I want to join any club that obviously prefers some
other model of car over mine, and makes that point by including that other model
in their club name?

Just my opine, YMMV. :-)

Marc Sayer

CalSpeed@aol.com wrote:

> Other news, there were some folks that signed up to be a member of ZONC
> today.  ZONC has opened all memberships to 510's now.  Roadsters were
> excepted a few years ago.  (Thank you very much!)  I encourage all Datsun
> enthusiasts to become ZONC members.  It is a growing club with nominal annual
> dues and a very nice monthly news letter.  ZONC is recognized as one of the
> leading Z Clubs in the States and we have lots of connections directly to
> Nissan in Japan.  We hold lots of events and as you can see we are getting
> some great exposure.
>
> Big things are ahead for ZONC so you might as well be a part of it too.

///
///