Re: Wheel adapters revisited

To: ambradley@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel adapters revisited
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 09:11:27 -0500
Hi Adam,

Those wheels are a great price.  If you like the design, go for it.  Where
have you found adapters?  The ones that I've seen cost about $200 a set.  In
the past I have thought about having some made, but it would take about 20
or 30 made to make the machine shops setup costs worth it.  They'd still end
up costing about $30 each.

If you get adapters, you will need to make sure that the pair for the front
wheels have a center hole diameter large enough to fit over the front hubs.
This is almost 3" in diameter.  And those fat front hubs may not clear the
center hole of the wheels, even in front of the spacer.  Those hubs stick
out about 3" so if they do fit you may not be able to use the wheels center
caps.

Also remember that offset is not the same thing as backspace.  The correct
offset on a too wide a wide wheel will still rub.  One way to decide on
adapter thickness is to determine the maximum backspace and frontspace, then
measure the new wheel's backspace and front space, then make the width of
the adapter such that the new wheel falls in the middle.  This will prevent
rubbing, but I don't know if it will be correct for load on the wheel
bearings.

Back space = (wheel width / 2) + offset
Front space = (wheel width / 2) - offset

Also consider that a 15x6 wheel will not be 6" wide, but anywhere from 6.75"
to 7.5" wide depending on the design.

Good luck,
Chris