Re: stuck oil filter ...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stuck oil filter ...
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 18:18:46 +0000
I worked atr an oil change place for several years.  I
don't reccommend using a screwdriver.  Once you have
poked a hole in the filter then the car is inoperable
wherever it sits.  That might be fine for the roadster
sitting in the garage, but if you have to drive it you
will be out of luck.  We would get cars in that had the
filters on so tight that the filter pliers and end cap
wrenches couldn't get them off.  Several times one of my
mechanics would jab a screwdriver through.  When you
turn the screwdriver it just rips the filter in half.  I
suggest using one of those strap type filter removers.
Place the strap as close to the base of the filter as
you can.  Once you have mangled, ripped in half, and
tried the strap with no luck you will have to use the
chisel and hammer method.

Andy
> Mike,
>         Crude but effective, my favorite has always been to ram a
> screwdriver through the whloe unit and twist it loose that way.  Be
> careful not to hit the drain cylinder dead center of the filter.  Of
> course if you can get a filter wrench on it, that's the best method
> possible.
>

> "Michael Breen" <elvis@channel1.com>
> Sent by: owner-datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> 09/28/01 05:35 PM
> Please respond to "Michael Breen"
>

>         To:     <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        stuck oil filter ...
>

> Hello,
>
> Any tricks on unsticking a stuck oil filter (twist on type)? Can't get the
> thing to budge.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> 68 2000