Floor pan (part 2)

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor pan (part 2)
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:30:54 -0500
Thanks all for the replies.

Two camps on this.

Weld new panels in.  If I remember right, Ross only has panels that fit from
the seat forward and not under the seat.  The stock reinforcements under the
seat rails are getting pretty bad and I was going to weld in heavier metal
in these areas.  And, the rest of this area is weak from rust, so I would
need to cut out the complete floor.  I will call around for sheet metal and
see about doing this.  What gage is the floor metal?  I agree, this is the
best fix.

Use a good rust converter (not acid) and epoxy.  A few have tried the
fiberglass over metal just to have it rust out again due to lack of
adhesion.  The secret may be the rust converter and epoxy.  The epoxy will
be more flexible and it "breaths" so moister should not get trapped between
the epoxy/metal interface.  I have used a lot of epoxy building wooden boats
and love the stuff.  I have not tried to use it in this application.  This
method would be the easiest.

Phil
SEROC!!

///