Re: More fun than roadsters OT

To: Pam & Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: More fun than roadsters OT
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:02:19 -0700
Paul, dude - its Alfa, not Alpha...

I drove my (then) brother-in-law's Alfa Spyder once years back, and what a
revelation it
was! Of course, my basis of comparison was my '70 PL521 Datsun truck, but the
Alfa was so
smooth and driveable - man! My brother worked at a car/motorcycle dealership
that sold
Jaguar and MG automobiles, and repaired and serviced all foreign makes - and he
swore he'd
disown me if I ever bought an Italian or a British car. I lusted after a
Triumph Spitfire,
mostly because I wanted to paint it like a Supermarine Spitfire (you know, the
one with
wings... ), but I came to my senses. Years later, I bought my Roadster - ah,
bliss!
Japanese reliability (and the shop manual is SO entertaining to read!), great
looks, good
power and great handling.

Now if I could just find the time to get out to the garage and get it running
again :^ (

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA

Pam & Paul Bauman wrote:

> Back in 75 when I bought my roadster, I lusted after two cars: a late 60s
> XK-E and an Alpha Spider. Could have bought either but the Jag was a hardtop
> (wanted a convertible) and the Alpha was missing a transmission (sorry
> Victor!). So I found this rather forlorn looking 67 1600 sitting on a Datsun
> dealer's used car lot and said 'this will do'.
>
> It was red at that time, and yes, it did make all the right noises and I was
> trading in a Pinto, but I don't think it was lust that made me buy the
> beast. It was kind of like getting that stray dog out of the pound and
> you're sure he'll catch a Frisbee and be your best friend if you just treat
> him right.
>
> Over time my roadster and I have come to an understanding: I don't drive her
> sideways through corners and she does not catch on fire and kill me. A
> compromise I'm willing to make for a friend of 26 years.
>
> Paul Bauman
> Westminster, CA
> 67 1600
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/bauman311