Re: Solex Accelerator Pump Leak

To: "Daniel T. Heinze" <dth104@email.psu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Solex Accelerator Pump Leak
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:59:29 -0500
>Daniel T. Heinze

> My 68 Solex 2000 has had a perpetual problem I'm trying to solve.  The
> accelerator pump gaskets on the Solexes keep leaking with the result that I
> have to crank for about 30 seconds to restart the car after it sits for a
> few hours.
>
> Had the Solexes rebuilt at CDM about 2 years ago.  This solved other
> problems they had, but the accel pump gaskets started leaking within days.
> Have replaced them a couple times since then.  Each time they do well for a
> couple days then slowly start to leak until within a few weeks, I'm back
> where I started.  The accl pump diaphragm stays intact... the leak is around
> the gaskets.
>
> I'm running the stock fuel pump and no fuel return line.  Might a fuel
> pressure regulator help?  Maybe the needle valve needs to be adjusted??? Any
> suggestions are appreciated.

I'm fairly sure the stock mechanical pumps are similar to those used on the
L-motors and doubt that your pressure's too high. If that were the case I'd
expect to see gas coming out the float bowl vents and overflowing
internally, too.

I'd guess it's a case of the two metal matting surfaces not being exactly
parallel all of the way around the pump and the gasket not having enough
squeeze (okay compressibility, for the technical types) to fill the
irregularities gracefully.

The more Solex experienced on the list will have to say if the following
might work or not, but I'd consider stacking a couple of gaskets or making
your own from some gasket material that's slightly thicker and more
compressible.  I doubt that doing that will alter the accelerator pump shot
enough to hurt, but I could be wrong.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)

///
///