Re: Starter Removal

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Removal
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on the starter
removal.  As usual, your experience saved me time &
energy, and gave me many ideas for the future.  For
instance, whenever someday I have my body off the
frame, the triangular brace is history, but I do not
have a safe efficient way to take it out with
everything still attached to the car...

Thought about the engine/tranny mount removal and
jacking the engine up as datsunmike suggested, but
could not see how I could clear obsticales without
removing something first.

Finally bit the bullet, removed the carbs, and
partially disassembled the water pipe assembly under
the heat shield, folded everything back and tried
bringing the starter up between the manifolds and the
steering column.  SOOO close, but no go.  Finally
removed the intake manifold, but left the header in
place along with the 2 end nuts that hold only the
header.  SUCCESS!

Reassembly, testing and thank goodness a working
starter this time.  Damn those engineers!  Good luck
Mike with the gear reduction starter, I'm just not
ready (yet) for that investment.  My new (rebuilt)
starter was $50.

Thanks again for the ideas and advice.  This list
ROCKS!

Mike Harper
'66 1600 with properly operating starter and lots of
new parts, ready for Road Atlanta
'68 2000 will arrive tomorrow from TX (Thanks again
Tom)
Charleston SC