Re: Starter Removal

To: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Removal
From: Roadster <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 16:35:20 -0500
Mike Harper wrote:

>  Mine is a '66 with the triangular brace on the bady
> just outboard of the starter, so it ain't coming out
> thru the hole between the frame & the body by going in
> thru the front wheel well.

Hi Mike,

Actually,  it will come out this way, unless there is a difference between our
respective bodies.  ('70 SRL311)  I had to pull mine a couple of months ago.
It isn't easy but it beats pulling the intake.

Twist, turn, pull, and cuss until the nose is sticking out through the
opening.  Take a small pry bar between the flange and the frame and give it a
good nudge.  It will pop out.  Replace in reverse order.  Putting it back in
requires gettng it stuck most of the way in followed by a good kick.   The
biggest problem is holding the starter in place while starting the bolts.  Not
exactly "Designed with the service man in mind".

Some day, when I pull the body off, I'm going to modify the brace!

--
Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000