Soft top frame, short Vs tall?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Soft top frame, short Vs tall?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 18:33:38 -0400
  Okay, folks.  Break out the tape measures and please help me straighten
out why my soft top frame won't clear my roll bar.  Measuring from the
center of the hole in the frame leg that mounts to the car, up the frame to
the lower edge of the rear bow, I get approximately 9 1/4"s.  Teddy says his
frame measures about 10 1/2"s.
  Some background information is probably in order at this point.  Teddy and
I both own 1969s; Teddy a 2000 and mine is a 1600.  I recently installed an
AutoPower street bar.  Even though I have owned this roadster since 1996,
other than the ride home the day I bought it, with a rather tattered and
torn top flapping in the wind, I have never had a soft top on this car.  Now
when I try to mount the frame, I cannot fully extend the rear bow.  The
adjustment knobs hit the roll bar, stopping it from rotating back and down
to where it should hold the top, just above the rear window.  At this time,
my brand new, zip out rear window, soft top is still in the box from CDM,
awaiting installation.
  My guess is that I mounted the roll bar too low on the angled portion of
the floor, bringing the roll bar too far forward.  BTW, measuring from the
top frame mounting bolts just behind the doors to the front face of the roll
bar, I get about 1 1/2"s.  But before I drill another 16 holes in my floor
and shelf, I thought I might ask the list.  Any chance I have a short
windshield frame with a tall windshield front bow installed on it?

Paul
OROC
Hiding from the rains in NE Ohio!