Seriously bummed

To: jamesd_williams@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Seriously bummed
From: Jaykp@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:09:51 EDT
I really thought that today was the day that I'd have my car back together.
I've had it apart all summer completing various projects. After some advice
from Eric (WYROC), suggesting the use of a blow torch, I finally got my old
water pump off. I've spent several weeks administering penetrating oil and
blows from a 2 lb dead blow hammer every few days to no avail. Praise God,
I'm back in business, or so I thought.

I got my $47 Autozone water pump out of the box, and installed it with little
effort, making certain that I coated the studs with Anti-seize, etc..
Everything went really smoothly until I tried to assemble the fan pulley,
spacer block and fan. The holes in the new water pump are located slightly
farther apart than my old water pump. The holes on the old water pump are 1
9/16 from center to center, and the holes on the new water pump are 1 11/16
from center to center. I'm really bummed.

Could somebody please answer the following questions?

1) Did the water pump change from one year to  the next? The pumps are so
similar that I can't beleive that it's the wrong pump all together.

2) Has anybody run into the same problem, and was there a solution other than
returning the pump and ordering one from a dealer? I really want to try to
avoid removing the new pump.

3) Does anybody have any brake lines and bleeder screws that they would like
to exchange for a caliper rebuild kit? (If it isn't a fair trade, please
suggest something else, but I really need the bleeder screws.)

Thanks all,

Jay Williams
Nashville
68 SPL