Re: Paint Job Expense

To: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>, "Michael Tarelka" <mtarelka@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Paint Job Expense
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:15:46 -0500
nruff wrote

>Even when doing it yourself, materials aren't cheap.  To do it properly
>requires coating the car up to 10 times (if not more).  Of course this all
>depends on the painting system you are using.
>1-etching primer (for bare metal)
>3-"fill-n-sand" (wetsand for good finish)
>1-sealer
>2-basecoat
>3-clearcoat (this can vary depending on desired finish)
>
>All this adds up and with the cost of paint and primer, can add up to easily
>over $500 (if your lucky).
>Get the best you can afford.
>Nruff

     I've been reading about repainting [How to Restore Your Collector
Car by Tom Brownell]  He recommends *not* wet sanding primer,despite the
fact that it's popular with body men, that it absorbs moisture [as does
Bondo] and tries to find its way out later in the form of blisters.  I
think my car is a victim of this, I know that they wet-sanded the primer
.  It does make the job go quicker, and saves on sandpaper, but I wonder
if it's worth it.   Any learned opinions on the wet-sanding of primer?

Marc T.

Marc Tyler
TDROC
1970 1600 #SPL311-31016
1965 L-320 #L320 013642 (the misspent ute)
Sisterdale TX