Re: Paint Job Expense

To: Mick T <mickth@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Paint Job Expense
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:35:07 -0700
Mick T wrote:

> I've always wonderered something about primer. I see people drive around for
> months, or even years with just a primered car. It's my understanding that
> the whole reason (well, ok, at least one of the reasons) for primer is that
> it is a pourous surface, therefore making it a good 'bondable' surface for
> the base coat. Since it is pourous, doesn't that allow for moisture to get
> below the primer?

Mick,
Primer should be covered up with paint soon after it is applied.  If you use a
good DP-40 type primer with catalyst, these are supposed to be rust inhibitors
and are supposed to be able to be left out in the weather.  Not that you would
normally want to.  Regular primer isn't like this and should be covered by
paint.
Bob