Re: Head and Brake questions

To: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Subject: Re: Head and Brake questions
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:54:46 -0500
Correct!  The head on the car I bought last year in California and drove back
to Texas had a leaking head gasket that let go near San Francisco on Hwy 1.
I pulled the head and had it cleaned up,  .004" removed.  Turned out that it
already had .094" removed.  I have pop up pistons and could see a mark on one
of the pistons where it had been kissing the head.  Since the head was trash,
and I needed it to just get me home to Texas, I broke out a die grinder and
inlarged the combustion chambers to the point where the pistons did not hit the
head when installed without a head gasket.  That did the trick. Now that I am
back in Texas I have not taken the time to replace the head, but will "soon".
The only problem that I am having is when accelerating from a stop I hear a
little knock for well under a second when I let out the cluutch in first.  I
have a spare head, but I am contempating rebuilding the spare engine and
then just dropping it in, rather than just replacing the head, that way I
will know the condition of the rest of the engine.

The only thing about the old engine that I REALLY would like to keep is the
non oil leaking rear seal!  I have never been able to get one in without
leaking at least a bit!

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne