Head and Brake questions

To: <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>, <plhbauman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Head and Brake questions
From: jwilliams@kidpower.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:58:27 -0600
All,

I spent a good part of my long weekend removing the head and tearing down the
calipers on my '68 1600. I have a few quick questions that I'm hoping some you
could kindly answer for me:

1) What is the minimum head thickness on a 1600? I'm going to have it milled and
want to make sure that I stay well within spec.

2) What is reasonable price for milling a head and valve job at a machine shop?

3) Any ideas on how to get a set of corroded calipers apart? I removed the
plastic boots, and the cylinder is filled with so much crud that I can't get the
caliper piston out of the cylinder. In fact, one of the pistons is completely
fused to the cylinder wall and refuses to be moved at all. I soaked them in carb
cleaner all day yesterday to no avail. You might have heard me complain about
the brakes when I bought the car a few months ago. After tearing down the
calipers, I'm surprised that it was stopping at all. The PO of this car
obviously wasn't a list member. The brake lines still had the black insulation
on them!

4) How much do new calipers run?

Thanks,

Jay Williams