Re: Performance with Pertronics (was re: dwell adjustment)

To: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Performance with Pertronics (was re: dwell adjustment)
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 13:03:11 -0400

"David R. Conrad" wrote:

> Now Jim Tyler did not like the fact that I had installed the Pertronics
> in "B",
> the "lesser" of my two distributors, contending that "shaft slop" would
>degrade
> the Pertronics performance.  No such "slop" was apparent to
> me--absolutely no
> discernible movement laterally.  I attributed the slight gap variation
> to cam
> wear.  (I agree it is difficult to rationalize how a rotating cam would
> experience differing amounts of wear of the lobes).
>
> Anyhow, the dwell meter shows a "rock solid" indication, whatever that implies
> with a Pertronics, and it runs (subjectively) "great".
>
> Dave
>
> '"cool" '68 1600
> Kailua-Kona

If you have no lateral movement, you have no issue at all and it should work
great.
The pertronics is more forgiving than points with a slightly worn dist, but it
can't correct for a really worn out one.  Glad it is working well :-).

That's  a good idea to get the point unit tested as a backup, then if you ever
do lose the pertronics you can be back on the road in 15 minutes.

Jim