Re: Re[2]: dwell adjustment

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Re[2]: dwell adjustment
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Fred,

> What are the advantages of a Pertronics?
>
> No points to wear out.
> Hotter spark?
> Consistent spark?
        VERY consistant spark NEVER having to change points.. Now for the
Hotter spark. If you are stepping up to a high powered coil I belive that
it will fry the stock points very quickly.

> But... I don't like the idea of not being able to adjust the dwell. I had a
> Pertronics electronic ignition on my '66, but I yanked it out and installed
> ordinary points. The performance seemed sluggish until I went to points and
> set the dwell to an optimal setting. I'm using a dwell meter I bought new
> years ago for $5, I imagine they can still be had cheap.
>
> So, what is better between standard points ignition versus Pertronics, and
> what tips do any of you have for optimizing a Pertronics setup.
        I am not sure how dwell effects the car.. My car with the pertronics
does not seem sluggish at all.  Though I can not use my dwell meter anymore
because of the MSD ignition.
        Optimizing the pertronics.. what if you 'ovalized' the two mounting
holes in the pertronics unit?? That would allow you to rotate it a bit in
each direction to set the dwell???
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA