Re: Powder Coating

To: <jon_wissler@pngc.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating
From: "Tom and Melissa Nash" <mltjnash@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 21:46:45 -0700
Others probably know more than I, but powder coating is process of coating
metal surfaces with a durable finish akin to a very hard plastic.  The
material comes in powder form, hence the name.  I believe the powder is
electrostatically charged and is applied with a special spray gun.  The part
is then baked to cure the coating.

The powders come in many colors and finishes (gloss, satin, flat, etc).  I
had my frame, rear axle housing, various suspension parts and roll bar
coated in this manner and I am very pleased with the results.  A word of
caution though, you want to protect any threaded bolt holes or studs with
masking tape or rubber plugs so they will not be coated.  I learned this the
hard way and spent quite a bit of time cleaning threads with taps and dies
(the die for the rear shock studs was fairly pricey and I'll probably never
use it again).