Sins of the POs

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sins of the POs
From: Robert Porter <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:33:14 +0000
Roadsterites all:

Here's the current list of PO dirty tricks, compiled as of 11/27:

Slapping bondo on the engine block to cover a crack, then painting the
block to make it pretty, and emphasizing that it just got rebuilt.
Fred Katz, SF CA

Replacing both 7/16" grade 8 bolts securing the upper A-arm to its tower
with:
        1) a 10 mm. metric grade 8.8 bolt (equivalent to grade 5); and
        2) a grade 5, 3/8" -- possibly a Sears-Special-of -the-week?!
The small miracle in my case was that the 10 mm bolt snapped (not the
3/8"!) when I was standing still at a traffic light, rather than when I
was doing highway speed.  Had it been the latter, likely you'd never
have heard this from me!
Teddy

Rewiring the engine compartment using stereo speaker wire. I guess after
the original wire burns a few times you have to fix it anyway you can.
Mike, Hayden Lake ID

Grinding down the front brake calipers (and bolts) to clear smaller
wheels.  Bolt nearly ground through.  Could have killed me.
(Forgot who sent this--accidently deleted post when compiling--BP)

Telling the new owner it just got new shocks, while not mentioning that
the rubber bushings weren't installed with them.
Fred Katz, SF CA

Doing a 2" body lift with aluminum blocks and installing oversized tires
to disguise it.  Looked like a 4x4 Roadster!
Sydney Raper

Rebuilding hood latch assembly with coil spring wrapped around assembly,
held together with roofing nails instead of rivets.
DPMD@aol.com

Using bolts instead of fuses, so they won't blow....melts wiring
instead!
Tom Walter, Austin TX

Using stop signs to patch the holes in the floorboards.
Dan Yates, Regina, Saskatchewan

Using an 8 penny nail instead of a cotter pin in the rocker assembly.
Eric Frisbee

Putting wooden boards in the bottom of the rear trunk side wells, and
packing them with dirt to keep them from bouncing around. Additionally,
storing a bunch of loose nails there so the new owner can cut his hands
while searching for items.

Putting in a high pressure radiator cap and loading radiator with stop
leak to disuise overheating due to bad head gasket.
Bob Porter, Harrisburg PA

Hammering screws into place after stripping the threads;
affixing lights with epoxy rather than pop rivets.
Aaron, San Diego CA

Shimming the snot out of the upper U20 tensioner to keep the chain
artificially tight, preventing the future buyer from hearing that
telltale 'death rattle' when checking out the car.
 John F Sandhoff, Sacramento CA

PO dropped bolt into cylinder big enough to leave thread
imprints
on the piston and cylinder head.
Karen, Pomona CA

Anybody else have some goodies to add?