Re: Stereo help?

To: "Greg Wolff" <greg_wolff@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stereo help?
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:48:24 -0800
Hi Greg,

Are you replacing a "stereo" or the original AM radio? All I had was the
stock AM radio with the single speaker above the passenger footwell.

Anyway, I also wanted to upgrade my '66. The AM radio quit working, and I
wanted something to keep me company on long rides. After seeing Ron
Hamilton's Rocketship at Doheny, it all came together. The space in the
middle of the radio console is too tight for modern radios. Ron has his
mounted high in the console, where the cigarette lighter, etc. are normally
located.

Two weeks ago, I bought a modern AM/FM CD unit with removable faceplate.
These fit a cutout hole of 2 inches by 7 inches. The upper space of the
radio console allows exactly this size hole, even with the side chrome
strips in place. Doing the swap is no easy task, but it can be done with
the right tools. I removed all parts from the console, marked the position
of the hole and cut it out. Then I took a piece of sheet metal and
fashioned a new faceplate for the console, with the 2x7 cutout at top, and
cut holes in the center (where the old AM radio would normally be) for the
accessories.

For my '66, those accessories were the throttle cable, two power outlets,
and a cutoff switch (4 total, usually only 3 holes).

After putting it together, it looks like it came from the factory that way.
I'm keeping the 2x7 cutout and the original faceplate in case I want to
restore the original look.

As for the speakers, I cut holes in the triangle braces at the corners
under the dash. 4 inch 2-way speakers fit perfectly without interfering
with the hood release or the wiring harness. Again, I'm keeping the cutout
metal discs in case I want to restore the braces to original condition.
3-way speakers went in the back behind the rollbar. The sound is super,
even on the highway.

This is just one alternative. I prefer my radio unit right in front of me,
and it worked out great.

Fred - So.SF
SFBADROC