Re: Stereo help?

To: Greg Wolff <greg_wolff@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stereo help?
From: "James W. Anable, Jr." <anable@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:28:54 -0800
Greg Wolff wrote:

> Hello everyone... I recently purchased a 1967 1/2 1600
> and am considering replacing the stereo. I'm looking
> for help on two points though. First, does anyone know
> where the original speakers would have been?

My original speaker was in a small box under the dash (1970).

> Any
> suggestions?

Putting a stereo in a Roadster is always a balance between compromising
the sound vs. compromising the car.  If the car is in good condition,
I'd think twice before doing a lot of cutting or replacing the dash
unit.

I have a '70 2000.  I struck a balance that I'm pretty happy with.

I left the stock radio in place.  I put amplifiers above the passenger's
feet.  Purists, skip the rest of this paragraph!  I mounted an 8"
subwoofer between the trunk and interior.  It is the only way I know of
to get decent bottom end in a Roadster.  It was professionally
installed, and doesn't look bad at all.  With the top down, you can't
even see it, but you can definately hear it!  If somebody wanted to
reverse this, they would have to spot weld in the hole and replace the
vinyl.

I put woofers in small boxes on the shelf behind the seats.  Then, I
took some older Radio Shack "minimus" cast aluminum speakers and
replaced the marginal quality woofer with a high quality driver.  The
tweeter is actually quite good.  They are mounted under the dash on the
side walls, with the tweeters pointed at your ears.

I use a portable CD player as a head unit.  I go right out of the
headphone jack and adjust volume as if I were wearing headphones.  For
tone control, it goes to a (non-powered) graphic equalizer.  Then it
goes to the crossover and amps.  From the main amp, it goes to a passive
crossover dividing output between the woofers behind the seats, and the
mids and tweeters in the aluminum enclosures under the dash.

I've raised more than a couple of eyebrows with the sound coming from
this car.  It's not audiophile quality or competition level, but it's
worlds ahead of what I started with!