Re: Steering box questions

To: HIGHKIX4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering box questions
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 99 11:03:02 CST
Jim,

The "early" steering box had a small drain plug on the side
of it. 3/8", so a 10mm seems to fit just right.

The "later" steering box does not have that drain plug.

In either case I always recommend checking the oil level
frequently, and keeping the box filled with 90W gear oil.

On quite a few the pitman arm shaft seal leaks... so the
box will empty of fluid. Worse is when the roadster is
stored out side, rain will drain off the hood to fender
channel, and splash nicely on a box. After quite a few years
you'll find boxes half full of water... bummer is oil will
be on top, so I love those early style drain plugs to change
to oil in there.

Redline is good stuff, and I do like using it. Only time
I have had problems is from BAD SEALS when it would leak
out a faster rate (as it is much thinner when at room temp).

Always a good idea to CHANGE the differential and transmission
fluids too. Every two years is fine. You'll get moisture in them
over time.

Provide your roadster with lots of TLC in the form of proper
maintenance, and it is very reliable!

Cheers,

Tom