Re: front end geometry

To: "Howard Fletcher" <hgf@netro.com.au>, "'Toby B'" <toby@wolfenet.com>,
Subject: Re: front end geometry
From: "Calvin Grandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:38:53 -0500
I was giving nothing to the aspect of camber.  As this is separate from the
steerable geometry.
        If the inner wheel does not point in the direction demanded by the
turning radius and tire slip angle generated by it's loading, then it must not
be running at it's most efficient condition.  Drag may not be a good thing.
After slowing for the corner entry, I like to get on the gas and accelerate.
Anti Ackerman geometry would be indicated to achieve the conditions that go
along with todays tires.
         As a note, Ackerman geometry is determined by physical layout of the
chassis, and remains unchanged whether the car is moving or not (generating
slip angles).  As mentioned, the inner wheel would describe a smaller radius
than the outer wheel.  The center of radius would intersect a line drawn thru
the rear axle.

Any others interested in handling  care to comment?

I took the 1600 out for a short spin last nite.  A broken ballast resistor put
everything on hold.  Dark and rainy!

I cannot believe how these cars just seem to need every detail attended to.  I
thought I had a gift, I got yoked!

It still is fun!

Regards

Calvin Grandy