Re: front end geometry

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front end geometry
From: "Calvin Grandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:25:50 -0500

Perhaps this topic has been up before, but as a "re-newed" roadster guy I could
like to know better the design intentions of the roadster front suspension.
Maybe there are a few Hi-Pro experts out there that could set me straight.
These questions have been with me since my previous roadster about 15 years
back.
        Inspection has shown  that the wishbones of the front suspension are
"swept back" about 10 degrees from perpendicular to the direction of travel.  I
have always referred to this as "broken chicken wing front suspension".  Other
than compensation for the location of the under engine cross member relative to
the wheel base /front wheel location, what does this geometry contribute to
handling or cornering stability / power?  Is it just an assembly of parts, or
is there a method?

Is the small change in A-arm location associated with suspension deflection
part of some design, or are the threaded "end bearings" just a useful way of
distributing axial loads on the A-arm spindles?

Has anyone modified the front steering system to provide anti-Ackerman geometry
as is consistent with present day tire performance?  If we match slip angles to
steering angles, we should see an improvement of cornering power unless we have
roll stiffness so great as to unload the inside front wheel.

Comments?

Regards

Calvin Grandy
So.VT