RE: front end geometry

To: "'Toby B'" <toby@wolfenet.com>,
Subject: RE: front end geometry
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 20:13:51 +1100
Thanks Guys , what a good read.

I think I have followed the argument but feel free to correct me.

On a race set up we use a fairy high number for -ve camber and stiffer
springs.

This gives us a much lesser (slip angle?) I mean the outside tire is far
more upright during heavy conrnering.

however straight line breaking does suffer a little as there is more force
on the inside of the tire.  In the wet there is less body roll so the -ve
camber is less effective (with High -ve camber).

The importance seems to be with the outside tire for circuit racing as if I
slightly error on the apex and take in a little of the ripple strip with
the inside front wheel , it has very little effect on the attitude of the
car.   (We dont have any banked tracks).

The ackerman angle seems only to have importance in the inception of the
turn (less so if you are under brakes and turning) and perhaps the late
part of the exit as it is in thse spots that both frnt wheels are doing a
lot. In the rest of the turn it is the job of the outside tire.  Most
racing schools seem to emphasise that effect in looking at steering under
breaking.

Regards,

Howard