Re: Flywheel removal

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Flywheel removal
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:01:44 -0800
Hi Stephan,

Too bad we couldn't link up because of your hacker.

For the flywheel, I made a bracket to lock the flywheel in place. I used
one of those flat metal bracing bars with holes that are spaced maybe
3/4-inches apart. Similar to the plumbing stuff that is used to hold water
heaters against a wall, but instead of being thin (like 1/32-inch), this
stuff is about 1/8-inch thick and about 1-1/2 inch wide.

Cut a piece about 4 inches long. Now lay it against a convenient hole above
the rim of the flywheel teeth. Mark perhaps 1-inch from the end of the
piece, for a 90-degree bend so the edge of the bar will mate between the
teeth. Do the same for the other end, so this U-bracket will have two edges
that sit in the flywheel teeth.

I modified my U-bracket further, by cutting the locking hole in the center,
into a slot at a 45-degree angle. This way, I could bolt it into place
using any of the mounting holes around the flyheel.

This worked great for not only the flywheel bolts, but also for locking the
crankshaft while torquing the jackshaft and other items.

Fred - So.SF, Calif.
SF BADROC