Re: Brakes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 99 09:40:05 CST
Getting the piston seal off is easy... I just DESTROY them. <grin>.
Serious since I am replacing that item, I do not worry about getting
it off.

To get the new one back on, I have a small thin screwdriver. The end
of it is polished smooth (no sharp edges to nick the rubber seal).
I just pour a little brake fluid over the whole seal, and wipe a little
on the piston.

Using the screwdriver, or other BLUNT tipped item like an awl, I just
use that to help 'flip over' the seal into the grove.

Both thumbs are holding the seal into the grove, with the awl forcing
the seal over the edge of the piston. Darn, picture is worth a 1000
words at this pont.

 >Does anyone know how to get the rubber ring in the piston of the Front
>Calipers off?  I can get them off, but by stretching them all the over the
>metal part they sit on.  Also, does anyone know of a better way to put on
>the bottom nut of the Brake Master Cylinder?  It takes me like 10mins just
>to get that one nut off...

Air impact wrench to get it on. Just 'snug' getting it on. Steel into
the aluminum makes is a pain to remove.

>And, where can i get a nice hard top for a high windshield?

No. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom