Re: rocker arm removal

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: rocker arm removal
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:18:52 -0700
Hi Stephan,

Give me a call, and I'll come over tonight or tomorrow. I've got a pry bar
that works great. You rotate the cam so the in and out ears are up. Then
place the end of the pry bar against the side top of the valve springs, and
leverage the mid-section of the pry bar against the underside of the
camshaft. It doesn't take much pressure at all, and the camshaft can easily
tolerate it. Since you removed the head, there's no question about piston
interference.

Keep the prybar away from the cam lobes. Once the valve springs are pressed
down, you use your free hand to slide out the rocker arms.

Get an empty egg carton, and a marking pen. Mark the egg carton for each
rocker, starting with #1E, #1I, #2I, #2E, #3E, #3I, #4I, #4E.

As you remove each rocker, wipe it and mark it accordingly with the marker
and place it in the egg carton. Also note the position of the "buttons"
under the rockers, on top of the valves. Wipe each and mark the front
position so you can match it up with the rocker arm, and place it in the
egg carton.

Fred