cam lobe pitting

To: "roadsters list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: cam lobe pitting
From: "Dan and Louise Yates" <yates@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:43:55 -0600
There is noticeable pitting on four of the cam lobes on my 1600 on the high
point of the lobe. There is no grooving or other obvious imperfections on
the lobes. Two intake, two exhaust. Is it fubar or don't worry be happy?
Also when I push 100 psi into the cylinders with both valves closed there
seems to be considerable leakage past the rings into the crankcase. The only
leakage past the valves is on the number three intake. I squirted a few
tablespoons of oil into the cylinders and turned it over with no noticeable
improvement in the leakage. When I pulled the engine I seem to remember the
compression being 125-140 on all cylinders. The bores seem to be in pretty
good shape, no scoring or scuffing so would a new set of rings be in order?
I could have the whole thing checked out by a rebuilder but the list advice
is MUCH CHEAPER.  Thanks
Dan Yates
67 1600