Re: Life is not THAT bad, Van! (tranny woes)...

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Life is not THAT bad, Van! (tranny woes)...
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:42:04 -0700
Van,
        Ya, it sounds as if things are near to terminal.  My 2c- find a spare
four speed.  They're dirt cheap. Also get a replacement countershaft and
bearings.  Prolly more than you paid for the tranny, but also prolly not
much over $50, gaskets included.
        Then pull your tranny, use the best synchros and gearset.  All the
gears should stay together- swapping gears around COULD cause problems.
Might not, but it's not "recommended"  Swapping synchros is no big deal,
neither is flipping them over to use the 'unworn' side, if they're
servo-style.
        Of course, the big assumption here is that you have 2 trannies with the
same synchro style.  Most of the early cars (like, maybe, pre-69?) had
servos.  The only Borg-Warner (sprag) style trannies I've seen (one a 4
speed, one a 5-speeder) both came from '70 cars...
        THe hardest part? pulling the darned things.  Working on them once
they're out is no big deal.  Honest.  If you can do an engine (or a fast
swap-grin!) then a transmission won't be a problem.
        But even if you just toss in another transmission, DO replace the
countershaft and its tiny little bearings.  They're the big weak link in
an otherwise stout little gearbox.
Good luck with it,
Toby