Re: Heat VS Paint

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: Heat VS Paint
From: pkort@cis.picker.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:33:59 -0400

Please respond to Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>

>>   Yes, paint will slow down the heat transfer!

>Defend your thesis, Paul  (Tell us why paint slows down heat transfer ...)

     Just another medium to transfer the heat through.  The metal of the drum
must heat the paint before the paint radiates the heat to the air.  Again,
measurable but probably not significant in most applications.  So why are most
automotive engines designed to transfer heat several time; metal block to liquid
coolant to air combined with metal to oil to air or in some cases from metal to
oil to coolant to air?  Density of the transfer material comes into play also,
... but let's not go there.

>Carry one of those lightweight cotton car covers - it takes 30 seconds to
unroll it and
>cover the car, only a little more than that to roll it back up and stow it on
the package
>tray behind the seats. No more hot seats (or bird crap in the interior)...

     I have a full car cover and I recently picked up a cotton cover that goes
from the windshield wipers back to the trunk lid, covering only the interior.
Have yet to get it out of the box yet.

> Your drums are not going to rust away to nothing... oh wait, I
>forgot - you're in Ohio.

     Not only Ohio, but in the heart of the rust belt.  Just check out the
license plates issued in Ohio now.  They come pre-rusted on the bottom!

 Paul
 OROC