Heat VS Paint

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heat VS Paint
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:23:59 -0400
  Okay, here is my 2 cents, backed by a few years of air conditioning and
heating schools and work.

  Yes, paint will slow down the heat transfer!  Will it matter on your rear
drums?  Probably not unless you race.

  Flat black can aid in transferring heat more so than a gloss light or
white if you need to paint something.  The advantage comes in the additional
surface area, an advantage not found when painting rough cast brake drums.
They offer plenty of surface area to begin with.  Also remember heat
transfer works both ways; a car painted flat black would get extremely hot
if left in the sun to absorb heat.  And since this is a roadster list, I can
safely assume that all of us, with the possible exception of those in
Seattle <grin>, know how warn a black seat can get when the top is left
down!

  So what did I do?  I used a rust bonding agent ( similar to POR15 but
cheaper ).  If you are running open aftermarket wheels, paint your drums any
color you want.  It won't make that much difference in even 'spirited'
street driving.  But I would recommend a high temperature paint.

Paul
OROC