Re: L20b swap?

To: pete_303@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: L20b swap?
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:05:32 PDT
Matt,

I've owned two L-Series powered roadsters.

1) 1966 SPL311 - With L18 (several years later....owned by Calspeed!)
2) 1970 SPL311 - With L20B

The '66 with the L18 was a super reliable powerplant. However, I didn't
perform the swap on this vehicle...I purchased it with the L18. One very
noticable point about the L-Series is it a taller motor than the R Series,
and will require a slight 'notch' to the frame/crossmember in order to fit
it in. In the '66, instead of notching the crossmember, the P.O. created a
'lifted' hood vent that provided an extra 1.5 inches. Also, the original
transmission from the roadster should probably be replaced with a Z-5spd.

Though the install on the '66 was a real butcher job, the car had lots of
power and was completely reliable. This was my full time driver through
college.

I was so impressed with the performance of the L-Series that two years
later, I bought a 1970 SPL311 with a thrashed motor and implanted in a L20B.
This was a real challenge. The L20B can fit....but it is very, very tight
(height wise). I believe the L20B is about an 1nch taller than the L18.

Be prepared to fabricated customer motor mounts, as well as trans mounts.
Also, the Alternator sits on the opposite side of the R-Series motor. Or
alternatevly, Stan Chernoff sells a kit with the mounts, and alternator
brackets. Probably you will need to find a L20B with side draft carbs. Also,
the original tack / Oil pressure gauges may need to be updated.

Best of Luck.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA
1965 SPL310 Fairlady