Re: u20 startup help

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: u20 startup help
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 99 18:03:27 CDT
Rick,

On any OHC engine, it would be a good idea to always check the top
of the head for warpage.

You're correct that the top sealing area of the gasket and top of
the head are milled. Should be obvious that the towers, and rocker
adjusters, are all removed to allow the top of the head to be milled
flat.

Look at a feeler gauge, check the thickness of a 0.020" blade. A gasket
could still seal with 0.020" warpage to it.  Now look at the camshaft...
while it MIGHT be able to withstand a 0.020" "bend" in it, it will not
last for long.  I've seen snapped camshafts due to a warp in the top
of the head.

Once both top and bottom are surfaced (milled flat), you should install
some cam tower shims. I picked up a set from Stan Chernoff.

This is just one of those "little" things to remember when you are
having the head redone.

Cheers,

Tom