Re: Ignition Blues

To: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition Blues
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:57:06 -0600
I recently went through the frustrating process of finding the right
ignition switch for my '70 2000 and have gathered some info from the
learning experience.  New switches are still available from Nissan for
about $20-$25.  My microfiche parts listings shows there were 2 different
types of switches used in the roadsters: the Waso type and the Voss type.
I think most of the later models used the Waso type.  The Voss type has a
warning switch assembly on the side of the lock cylinder housing, opposite
the steering column.  Also, this parts info should apply to both the SRL's
and SPL's.  Portions of my microfiche are difficult to read but there are 2
different switches listed for the Waso type pre-July '69 cars.  They appear
to read as 48750-22001 and 46750-A6900(possibly should be 48750-A6900).
For the July '69 and later cars, the list calls for 48750-A1101.  This is
the one I ordered but it didn't match the one in my car.  So the parts guy
thought it might be 48750-E4701; still no match (I believe this is for a
Voss type).  Finally I emailed a description with dimensions and a photo of
mine to the dealer and got the right one for my car (48750-E7705), which
was listed for the '72 240Z.  I guess this further proves that Nissan
installed whatever they had in stock if they ran low on the normally
installed part.

Seems that getting the right switch may be a trial and error process unless
you can take your switch and compare it to what's in stock (if there are
any in stock).  Luckily it's easy to R&R the switch.  FWIW, the part number
listed in the fiche for the Voss type switch is 48750-E4700.

Any one out there with more accurate and specific info, feel free to
correct any of this.

Gary Boone
Cheyenne, WY
'70 2000