Re: Radio Console

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radio Console
From: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 17:29:12 -0400
Hi from Pgh. PA!

On my 69 2000, the radio is easily accessed from the left (driver's) side
of the radio console.  Remove (about) 6 screws on the driver's side and the
side panel of the console releases, exposing the radio.  You don't have to
remove the whole console.

Remove the rubber ductwork for the defroster.  Then just take off the knobs
and release the radio's faceplate.  Detach the antenna, power, and ground
wires and you should be left holding the radio in your hands!

The only radio/cassette match I found is with the bottom-end unit from
Radio Shack.  I think it's their number 12-2004, which I picked up for
about $40 (on sale).  It is a perfect match for the size/shape of the stock
AM Roadster radio, down to the location of the knobs and the center,
rectangular protrusion on the face.  That's the only model I could find,
anywhere, that fits the Roadster console with (almost) no alteration.

Specifically, the only surgery needed is to remove the 1/4" x (approx) 5"
vertical strip on the console that runs down the center of the stock AM
radio face.  Also, you have to live with a veritcal orientation of the
Radio Shack unit, which is hardly noticeable (to my sense of those
aesthetics) since the dial is the non-digital slide-bar type with minute
printing.  Last, the R-S unit has an AMBER glow behind the tuning bar,
which doesn't match the white on black look of the rest of the dash.  But,
since there's nothing else illuminated in that part of the console, I don't
mind it at all.  And it's not visible, except at night.

For speakers, I mounted two basic Pioneer 5.5" (round) units in the side
vinyl kick-panels just behind the seats  (Cost: about $40 for the pair.)
The panels simply snap into the chassis with old-fashioned fasteners.
Likely 2 have rusted into place: you know the routine!!  If you remove
those panels, you'll see that behind each there are 3(!) precut 5" (I
think) round holes in the Roadster inner-chassis.  I gather Datsun was
prepared to have aftermarket stereo units added!

I used the lowest of the 3 precut holes, to leave the speakers exposed when
I put the short tonneau cover on.  The side-flaps on the tonneau have snaps
that attach to the vinyl side-panel, etc.

Last, I wired the stock front (passenger) speaker to the left channel(!),
so that the driver's side (left-rear) speaker and the original front
speaker are on the same channel, with the passenger side rear speaker alone
on the other (right) channel.  That produces a nice stereo balance
throughout the cabin.

Of course, in a Roadster at highway speeds and with the top down (how else
do you drive, unless it's snowing!) you better listen to a familiar song
with known lyrics, regardless the sound-system!

Best,
Teddy
69 2000
Pgh PA
OROC

> At 02:51 PM 10/7/99 -0400, cbruccia@mminet.com wrote:
>

>I was thinking about swapping out my radio this weekend in my 68 2000, but it
>looks a little more involved than I thought.  I could not figure out how the
>vertical center console is attached.  I saw a couple of screws on the left
and
>right and top and took those out, but it didn't budge.  How is this bugger
>attached?  Any tricks to get the radio out?  Are the heater control cables an
>issue? (mine don't work that great anyway).  I will take my current radio
with
>me when looking for another to make sure that the new one will fit.
Thanks for