Re: Radio Console

To: cbruccia@mminet.com
Subject: Re: Radio Console
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:49:00 PST8PDT
> I was thinking about swapping out my radio this weekend in my 68 2000, but it
> looks a little more involved than I thought.  I could not figure out how the
> vertical center console is attached.

Not difficult, but several steps:
1) Remove the cover plate over the shifter: 2 screws at front, the back
edge interlocks with the console
2) Remove the main console: 4 screws inside the storage box. Be careful
with the two wires that snake back into the radio console.
3) Remove the choke knob (tiny screw on underside)
4) Remove the ring that holds the choke assembly into the radio console.
A pair of snap-ring pliers works great, or take a 1x1 block of wood,
drill a hole in the center (that will fit over the metal shaft), hammer in
a finishing nail on either side of the hole, spaced to line up with the
holes in the ring. Alternately, use a pair of pliers and do damage (NOT!)
The point here is that the choke cables will hold the console in unless
you release the assembly.
 5) Remove the side screws, top and bottom on each side.
 6) I don't remember - there may be a pair of screws on the bottom front?
 7) Carefully wiggle the console and pull it straight out. It's a tight
fit.

The '70 console was changed slightly - the side panel is actually a
separate piece, that can be unscrewed and removed to get to the radio.
No yanking the whole console!

The pushbutton AM/FM manual-tune radio from an '82 sentra fits nicely,
if you're willing to remove the thin strip in the middle of the radio
opening. Mitsubishi made a vertical-mount AM/FM/Cassette that fits
nicely, too. I have the model number somewhere, but good luck finding
one anymore!

-- John