Re:front brake question

To: "Paul" <paul@winresearch.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:front brake question
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:31:01 -0700
Paul asked:

>Ok, I got the calipers off my 67 1600. The pads came off
>fine, but now the brake cylinders do not seem to want to
>come apart. Is there a retainer that holds the innards
>inside the body of the cylinder?

Let me begin with a disclaimer...  I haven't done anything with
Roadster brakes (and my weavy-dodgy braking stance shows it;-), but
on my Z, I had the same problem - the pistons don't wanna let go...
on those calipers, no retaining clips, and I think that's the
standard way - they just kinda sit in the caliper body - where are
they gonna go?  Not like they can hyper-extend and get out<G>

To get the 'monsters' out, try applying air pressure to the inlet on
the caliper body.  You shouldn't need to make a fitting or anything,
just put the blower nozzle up to the brake line inlet.

If both pistons are stuck, blow, baby blow;-?  But if one's loose,
and the other stuck (they are two-piston calipers, right?), use a
clamp to secure the loose one at the fully seated position, so that
the stuck one is the only give in the system.  *then* blow!

Beware of a couple things - brake fluid blowing around, atomized by
the air pressure; and when that piston lets go, it's gonna LET GO,
so don't put your fingers in there!

HTH
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast