Re[2]: front brake question

To: "Paul" <paul@winresearch.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re[2]: front brake question
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:23:37 -0700
Kyle replied to Paul:

<snip>
<To get the 'monsters' out, try applying air pressure to the inlet on
<the caliper body.  You shouldn't need to make a fitting or anything,
<just put the blower nozzle up to the brake line inlet.
<snip>
<Beware of a couple things - brake fluid blowing around, atomized
<by the air pressure; and when that piston lets go, it's gonna LET
<GO, so don't put your fingers in there!

The first time I got the pistons out of the caliper cylinders, I clamped
one piston with a C-clamp, and used the brake pedal to pump up the
pressure. The other piston and cylinder were in a bucket in order to catch
the "flying" piston.

Although I covered it with one rag, some brake fluid sprayed up and out of
the bucket onto my new car nearby, catching the rear tail. That brake fluid
is nasty stuff, and it ate into the paint. Took me a while to rub out the
blemishes, and I couldn't get it all.

Cover the assembly with rags, use very little pressure, and stay out of the
way of that piston when it pops free. Too much pressure, and it can be a
missle that can kill. A spray of atomized brake fluid can blind you.

Be safe, not sorry!

Fred - So.SF